Pageviews past week

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The market continues to trudge higher as the Dow gained 38 points on light volume. The advance/declines were slightly positive. The summation index is turning back up. The inflation data came in high as expected but did not cause any widespread selling. If we stay higher into Friday, I may try the SPY January puts. However the short term technical indicators for the S&P are mid-range. So that may not be the best idea. But if we do make it back to short term overbought on one of my indicators I'll probably do the trade. Gold continued higher today as the futures rose eight bucks. The US dollar dropped and interest rates were steady. The XAU gained 2 2/3, while GDX added over 1/2. Volume was average again. I canceled my open order for the GDX February calls as this trade was missed. The sharp rise in the gold shares this week makes me believe that this move up is for real. I'll be looking to attempt the GDX calls on any weakness but the ideal time to try this trade has passed. I was early on my attempt here with the last losing GDX trade. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was lower, remains short term oversold but not extremely so. Not really getting a good signal one way or the other from here. My thinking is that the 3 day rally that we've seen in stocks could stall here. We'll get more inflation data out tomorrow and retail sales on Friday. We also have a holiday weekend comng up in the US. I'll remain on the sidelines for now and wait to see how we go for the rest of the week. Europe and Asia were higher overnight. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: