Pageviews past week

Thursday, October 15, 2020

An interesting session as the Dow lost 20 points on average volume. The advance/declines were positive. The summation index is still moving up. We opened with a huge gap lower and the Dow was off over 300 points. We made our way back for the rest of the trading day. Jobless claims were up a bit and that was the handy excuse for the drop but the market was selling off overnight too. Not seeing the usual upwards bias for option expiration week and I've been waitng for that but it isn't happening. The short term technical indicators for the S&P have rolled over, however I'm convinced that things will turn around and head higher soon. The overall market was weaker than the Dow but the comeback tells me that buyers are out there. We'll see. No SPY trades for now. GE was up a nickel on average volume. Gold was up a few bucks and the US dollar was higher as well. A flight to safety? I certainly don't know. The XAU was off around 1 2/3, while GDX shed 2/3. Volume remains light. Gold up and the gold shares down isn't bullish. I am leaving my open order out there for the GDX November calls. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX finished well off of its highs for the session. The Bollinger bands here are getting closer and a big move in this indicator is implied. The short term technical indicators here are now mid-range. So things could theoretically go either way. I'm looking for higher stock prices from here but that's just my point of view. The market will go where it wants to. The overall backdrop remains the same and that probably won't change until after the election. Europe and Asia were lower overnight. We'll close out the week with option expiration tomorrow.

No comments: