Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Back to the upside as the Dow gained 337 points on light volume. Another record close there. The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive. This should move the summation index higher. The Dow led the way today and that is not the most bullish scenario. Both the NASDAQ and S&P 500 were higher but not as much as the Dow. The short term indicators for the S&P remain overbought and heading sideways. I sold my SPY October puts for an 85% loss. This was one of those trades that was a failure from the beginning and never showed any profit. My timing was off early which can't happen on short term trades. I might have to simply skip the short term ideas going forward because my track record there isn't all that good. I do still think that things will head lower from here however I can't wait around for the market to cooperate. I could be wrong. Gold was up $11 on the futures. The US dollar continues higher and interest rates finished flat. The XAU was up 1 1/2, while GDX added 1/3. Volume was average. Both finished off of their highs for the session and have bearish evening stars on their daily candlestick charts. The short term indicators for GDX are still rising though. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was lower today and is back below the 20 level. The short term indicators here have turned back down but still with no conviction. Getting to mid-range on the indicators for the VIX. Some economic data out tomorrow with retail sales being the most watched. More earnings due as well. I'll be on the sidelines for now. Asia and Europe were mostly lower last night. We'll keep an eye on the overnight developments.

No comments: