Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 09, 2024

A new all time closing high for the Dow as it gained 431 points on light volume. The advance/declines were positive. The summation index is still moving lower though. The breadth on this advance is lacking but you cannnot argue with price. The S&P 500 closed at a new all time high as well. Still short term overbought on the indicators here but not completely. The market isn't waiting for the inflation data as it continues higher. The volume is light though and I don't trust light volume rallies. I have once again adjusted my open order for the SPY puts to a higher strike price as I am still in the camp that the October puts will work at some point. But I could be wrong. There is no overhead resistance now for the S&P. However the daily candlestick chart has the look of a rising wedge which would be bearish if correct. Gold was off $7 on the futures. The US dollar was higher along with interest rates. The XAU and GDX had fractional losses on light volume. Once again they came up off of the lows for the session. GDX is short term overbought and at its 50 day moving average. The GDX November calls are still a bit too pricey for me but you can certainly make the case to buy the gold share calls here. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was lower today and remains short term overbought. Not sure what's happening with the VIX as it usually doesn't stay overbought for long. Still above the 20 level here. Not sure how the market will react to the inflation data in the morning. We were up a lot today so even if the data is benign I'm not sure what the effect will be. My guess is that the PPI will come in hotter than the CPI so I might just get some of the SPY October puts tomorrow if my adjusted order isn't filled. But that's a decision for tomorrow. Asia was mixed and Europe higher in last nights trade. We'll watch tonights headlines and check the reaction to the inflation report on Thursday.

No comments: