Pageviews past week

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Volatility returned as the Fed raised rates as most expected. The Dow fell another 631 points on heavy volume. The advance/declines were negative. The summation index continues to drop. The Dow led the way lower as it has recently. A final hour rally kept things from being worse. The NASDAQ was barely lower and that is a plus for the bulls. The S&P 500 had a modest loss and finished off of its lows as well. The short term indicators there remain oversold. Two days left in the September option cycle and if I was a short term trader I'd consider the SPY calls. But the short term trades are not my best efforts. I also thought that there was a chance that the Fed would leave rates unchanged but that didn't happen. Gold was off $23 on the futures after being positive for much of the session. The US dollar was higher and most interest rates ticked up. The XAU lost 5 1/2, while GDX shed 1 1/3. The gold shares came up from their lows on the day as well. Volume was good to the downside. GDX opened with a gap higher and sold off for the rest of the day. I did adjust my order for the GDX September calls a couple of times in the morning. However gold itself was remaining pretty positive and the gold shares weren't doing anything. I canceled my order for the GDX calls and did not think it was worth the risk. Preservation of capital took over. I am looking out to the GDX October calls as it is now oversold on a short term basis. But the fundamental backdrop for gold isn't positive here with higher rates and a stronger US dollar. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was up today but remains below its 200 day moving average. The short term indicators here are overbought but not completely. I'm not sure where the VIX is heading next. Stocks had a chance to fall apart at the end of the day but did not. The zero line on the summation index remains in sight. So it is a tough call as to what happens next here. The reason that I would favor the SPY calls with two days to go for the September options is the fact that we didn't see a negative close today when the market had every reason to seek one. Markets don't wait around to go down. The next two days should be interesting. Asia and Europe finished higher overnight. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: