Monday, September 14, 2026
Players returned from the weekend in a selling mode as the Dow fell 152 points on average volume. The advance/declines were negative. The summation index continues lower. The NASDAQ led the way down but not by much. There was a huge gap lower at the open but stocks recovered during the session. However they didn't make it back to positive territory. Finished up off the lows though. The short term indicators on the S&P 500 are now trending lower or sideways with most in oversold territory. No clear signal here and with only four days left in the September option cycle anything could happen. Retail sales due Wednesday morning but the Fed that afternoon is the main story. Not sure what to expect there with the majority of players expecting a hike. I'm not considering the SPY puts here anymore. Gold was off $84 on the futures. The US dollar was higher and interest rates ticked up. The XAU fell 11 3/4, while GDX lost almost 3. Volume was just above average. I did place an overnight order for the GDX September calls but it wasn't filled. GDX also opened with a big gap down and never recoverd. GDX is now short term oversold on some of its daily indicators. This too is a risky trade but it is the idea that I decided on trying over the weekend. It will depend on the market reaction to whatever the Fed does but getting to short term oversold on GDX was what we were looking for. I'm leaving the order out there so we'll see if it gets filled or not. If it doesn't get filled ahead of the Fed announcement on Wednesday, I'll cancel it. Or perhaps I'll adjust it tomorrow. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was up today which fits a down market. The short term indicators here are turning back up but the 200 day average proved to be resistance again. If the VIX breaks above there we could be looking at a bigger decline. Hasn't happened yet. Europe and Asia were generally lower. I'll keep an eye on the overnight headlines.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment