Pageviews past week

Monday, June 17, 2024

A Monday rally to begin options expiration week as the Dow was up 188 points on light volume. The advance/declines were positive. The summation index is still trending lower. Both the NASDAQ and the S&P 500 closed at new all time highs. Short term overbought and staying that way for the S&P along with the NASDAQ. I tried the SPY June puts this morning. I did believe in this idea for the short term but after a 50% loss I sold out. The market simply continued higher so I had to sell before taking even a bigger loss. I still wanted to try them again and I purchased some closer to money later on in the session. We had some selling near the close and the second purchase is showing a slight gain. I'm really not that good at the short term trades but I still try them sometimes. We'll see how this trade pans out as it was a busier day than usual for me. Gold was off $14 on the futures. The US dollar was lower and interest rates were higher. The XAU fell a point and GDX was off fractionally. Volume was pretty light for the gold shares. I'm still looking at the July or August calls on GDX. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was up slightly today which doesn't fit with and up market. Not sure what's next for the VIX. We've got retail sales out tomorrow followed by a middle of the week holiday on Wednesday. Needless to say, decisions on this SPY put trade will have to be made Tuesday. There's a chance we could be in the beginning of a blow off top as well. But we'll see how things go tomorrow. Asia was lower and Europe slightly higher to begin the week overseas. We'll keep an eye on tonights headlines.

No comments: