Pageviews past week

Friday, May 10, 2024

It's like watching paint dry as the Dow gained 125 points on light volume. The advance/declines were negative. The summation index continues higher. After a pop higher on the open, the market sold back down to slightly negative and then drifted sideways to higher for the rest of the session. The Dow was the leader once again. The S&P 500 had a slight gain and the NASDAQ a slight loss. The S&P remains short term overbought. My SPY May puts are showing a small loss as they almost got stopped out this morning. I was thinking of simply taking the loss and moving to a closer to the money strike price. I did place another order for the SPY may puts near the close but it wasn't filled so I remain with the original trade. The short term sell signal that we got is still valid and I do expect the market to head lower early next week. I could be wrong. Gold jumped $30 on the futures. The US dollar finished flat and interest rates rose. The XAU and GDX had slight fractional moves one way or the other on about average volume. Gold higher and the gold shares not going along is not bullish. The gold shares are short term overbought and perhaps they are now due for a rest. We'll see. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX continues lower and remains short term oversold. Not sure what to expect here next but I suppose it can just keep heading down and remain oversold longer than we think. I guess we'll wait and see what happens with the inflation data next week. I'll be checking the charts as usual over the weekend but I'm already in this SPY may put trade so the focus will be on that. If it does get stopped out on Monday I may simply move to a closer to the money strike price before Tuesday as I was going to do today. But we'll have to see where we go on the open Monday. Asia and Europe were higher to finish the week. It's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: