Pageviews past week

Friday, September 05, 2014

Today we got a one day reversal back to the upside as the Dow opened lower and closed higher.  The Dow gained 67 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were just shy of 2 to 1 positive.  The employment numbers came in light and the market sold off in the morning.  However buyers once again stepped in and the market climbed higher the rest of the session.  My September OEX puts are just about dead, as are the rest of my open option positions.  Terrible risk management or should I say none whatsoever.  But I will say this.  The volume on this particular upswing has been horrible.  It won't end well.  GE was up 1/8 on light volume.  The short term technicals here are trying to head back to the upside.  Gold was flat on the futures, as was the US dollar.  The XAU was up 1/4.  ABX, GG and NEM were mixed with fractional moves.  Volume was about average for what we have seen lately.  Mentally I'm feeling a bit down.  The steep losses that I'm about to take are the reason.  Once again I am going to have to take a step back and implement some strict trading rules.  There is no one to blame but myself.  When the summation index turned around, that is when I should have exited the OEX put trades.  When the dollar broke above the 81.50 level, that was the time to forget about and long gold share trades.  But once again I sometimes get emotionally involved in the trades, as if I have to get them all correct.  That, as we all know, is never going to happen.  So it's back to the drawing board again.  The summation index is still trending higher.  The short term technicals for the stock indices are still overbought but they have been now for three weeks.  The TRAN continues to make new highs and that is bullish.  Gold broke down this week and the next support is at the $1240 level.  The weakness in the gold shares this week doesn't bode well for higher prices anytime soon.  I'll be checking the charts over the weekend as usual and deciding my next trading move.  I obviously need to make some specific changes in my trading tactics because what I have tried so far this year simply isn't working.  But for now it's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: