Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

We bounced around today and then continued higher as the Dow gained 101 points on light volume. The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive. We got some news out of Italy today that the market viewed as positive. So we continue to live in a headline driven trading world. Perhaps we can take out the recovery highs this week or before expiration. Summation index still heading higher. Getting short term overbought. GE was up an 1/8 on better volume. The daily chart looks constructive for more gains here but I'm not sure that I'll try something with 8 days left in the November option cycle. Maybe. Gold was up $8 on the futures as we crossed the $1800 level early in the day. But we sold off in the aftermarket after the Italy news. The US dollar lost ground too as the safe haven trade was taken off for a day. The XAU dropped 1 2/3. ABX off 3/4, GG fell 2/3 and NEM lost 1/2. Volume was average. I dumped the ABX calls during the session for a gain of 575%. I still like the gold shares but wanted to lock in a decent profit while in the overbought technical condition. I still may try these again before expiration, moving to a higher strike price. I'm also looking out to January here as well. We are overbought but in this type of market environment anything can happen. Mentally I'm feeling tired, did not sleep enough. The stock indices continue higher as it's possible that we will simply rally into the expiration. Or not. That is the problem here as the uncertain, headline driven marketplace moves forward. I don't have any trades in mind here at the moment. I do favor higher prices near term. The ABX trade is done. I had the biggest loss of the year in the previous trade followed by the biggest gain. That doesn't mean anything. It's on to the next idea as there are still 8 days left in the November option cycle. I usually don't do too well with the short term trades though. The weekly gold share charts are still looking like there's room to run on the upside. It's possible that I'll try the ABX calls again for November. We'll see what kind of news comes out overnight and take it from there.

No comments: