Pageviews past week

Friday, May 20, 2011

An interesting expiration Friday as the Dow opened lower, almost came all the way back and then closed back down again for a loss of 93 points. The advance/declines were almost 2 to 1 negative and the volume was average. We've been muddling around here for the past few weeks with no real conviction in the stock indices. A case could be made for either direction really. The summation index continues lower and I'm taking my cue from that. Volume has been pretty low lately as well. We need some interest to move the stock indices higher and I haven't seen any of that lately. GE dropped 1/3 on average volume. The weekly chart here looks bearish and it could be a harbinger of things to come for the indices. We'll see. Gold had a good day, up almost $20 on worries in Europe. This despite a good rise in the dollar. It looks as though the flight to safety trade may be coming back. The XAU only managed a gain of 3/4. ABX and NEM were flat, while GG had a fractional gain. Volume picked up a bit. I canceled my open order for the GG June calls. I will try again next week if I decide to continue in that direction. However once again today a decent rise in the precious metal itself did not carry over to the gold shares. The Gold/XAU ratio is still a screaming buy but it has been for a few weeks. Mentally I'm feeling OK. Moving to the June option cycle now with the usual 4 weeks minus a day for a holiday. I do believe that I'll be trying a trade in that time frame. Tough call as to where we go from here but that's always the case. I'm still favoring the gold share calls here though. I'll check the charts over the weekend and try to come up with a game plan. For now it's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: