Pageviews past week

Friday, July 20, 2007

The Dow lost about 150 points today on expiration heavy volume. Advance/declines were 3 to 1 negative. The summation index has rolled over and is heading down. That said, it's hard to say that today is the beginning of an extended downturn. Options expiration tends to skew things on Fridays. But that doesn't mean that a top hasn't formed here or is forming. Time will tell. Gold tacked on another 6 bucks but the XAU was only up a 1/4. Usually that means some weakness in gold coming up near term. However the gold shares have been on a tear and there seems to be no stopping them. They are extremely overbought. With a down 150 market today they held up considerably well. ABX continues higher, NEM took a slight rest. They won't go up forever but the money continues to flow into the gold shares. I have waited for a pullback that never came and the tendency is to just get in. However I will see what next week brings and the earnings a week after that. The dollar has remained very oversold as well which has led to this parabolic rise in the gold shares I believe. These trends won't go on forever. That said I still think there will be some money to be made there. Timing, as always, is the key. GE lost ground today and I'm now looking at the puts there. The weekly chart has gone about as far as it will go here. I could be wrong but I have started looking there. Mentally I'm a bit tired without a good nights sleep. I'll need to check things out over the weekend. But it is the summer and I plan on taking it easy too.

No comments: