Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

We moved to the upside from the recent sideways congestion, as the Dow gained 69 points on average volume. The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive. We're still overbought and the summation index is still moving higher. I really don't see anything that would stop the market from going higher. However I think it will be more of a grind than a dramatic move up. We won't remain overbought forever. Fed notes tomorrow. GE lost 1/8 on better volume. When the market opened up over 100 points, GE showed a little strength and then started to lose ground. It did not participate in todays rally. To me, that was a warning sign. I dumped the GE calls early. That trade lasted for quite a while and the return was 800%. That's not a typo. Maybe GE will lead the market lower here but I certainly don't know. It's a nice trade to begin the new year but the next trade is all that matters now. Gold was up about $25 as the US dollar fell again today. The XAU rose 3 2/3. ABX up 2/3, GG added 3/8 and NEM higher by 1 1/8. Volume was average. Looks like I am too late for the gold share calls but I will keep them in mind. Mentally I'm doing OK but not feeling well. No solid technical signals at the moment for what I'm following. 7 days left in the January option cycle. Probably a good time to be patient. We do have the GE earnings announcement on expiration Friday. Probably too risky to try anything there but we'll see. No OEX trades in the works at the moment. We'll see if we can build on todays gains tomorrow.

No comments: